Copaiba essential oil is derived from the resin of the copaiba tree, which can grow upwards of more than 100 feet and can be found in tropical South America. Copaiba oil is widely used in cosmetic products including soaps, creams, lotions, and perfumes. Since the 16th century, copaiba essential oil has been utilized in traditional health practices by the natives of north and northeastern Brazil. Similar to Black Pepper essential oil, Copaiba can help soothe anxious feelings and it can be applied to the skin to promote a clear, smooth complexion. Taken internally, Copaiba essential oil supports the health of the cardiovascular, immune, digestive, and nervous systems. It also helps support a healthy inflammatory response. Copaiba can be added directly to the mouth to cleanse and soothe the gums and oral cavity. Although Copaiba does not contain psychoactive cannabinoids, the main component, caryophyllene, may be neuroprotective and may have cardiovascular and immune benefits when consumed. It’s also a powerful antioxidant that promotes immune health.
Copaiba contains the highest levels of caryophyllene (BCP) among currently known essential oils. An irregular cannabinoid and sesquiterpene, BCP is a potent constituent within copaiba essential oil. BCP selectively binds to CB2 receptors in the endocannabinoid system (ECS)—a signaling and regulating system comprised of enzymes, receptor sites throughout the body, and endocannabinoids produced by the body. With cannabinoid receptors found widely in the body and all major organs, the ECS acts as a major regulator of human health. The CB2 receptors in this system are of particular importance because they are mostly found within the immune system. When Copaiba is consumed, the BCP binds to these receptors to aid healthy immune and inflammatory responses. It also influences multiple signaling pathways to promote healthy liver, digestive, kidney, heart, and brain function. With its wide influence on key organs, BCP supports general well-being.
- Add one to two drops to water, juice, or tea to support the health of the cardiovascular, immune, digestive, nervous, and respiratory system.
- Apply topically combined with a carrier oil or a facial moisturizer to help keep skin clean and clear, and to help reduce the appearance of blemishes.
- Combine one to two drops with a small amount of water and swish to freshen breath and promote oral cleanliness.
- Massage two to three drops onto desired areas to soothe sore, tired muscles after strenuous activity.
- Mix with carrier oil and rub onto stressed skin for restorative benefits.
- Place one to two drops of Copaiba under the tongue to encourage a general sense of wellbeing during periods of stress or nervousness.
- Diffuse to support healthy respiratory function.
- Diffuse to promote restful sleep at night.
Directions For Use
Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of choice.
Internal use: Dilute one drop in four fluid ounces of liquid.
Topical use: Dilute one to two drops with a carrier oil, then apply to desired area. See additional precautions below.
Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas.